Friday, October 12, 2007

Amateurs.


I loved the idea for Be Kind, Rewind from the second I heard about it sometime ago. Jack Black somehow becomes magnetized and erases all the tapes in the video store where he works. Naturally, he and Mos Def remake the movies themselves in order to save the store. A couple months ago not so good reviews from test screenings began to show up online. I felt disappointed, let down, heartbroken and I gave up. But then this week I noticed that a trailer for the film had been released some time ago. I officially cannot wait for this movie.

I love the opening scene of the trailer where Jack Black discovers he's magnetized. I know studio's usually cut the trailers but that moment is perfect. The next thing to catch my attention was the montage of the duo remaking Ghostbusters. Some of the footage from the remake looks like it was shot on a regular old crappy VHS camera from circa 1995. That had me sold right then and there.

It looks like rest of the premise of the movie is that customers love these remakes, while the FBI comes to shut the place down for copyright infringement.

I can't find anything wrong with what I've seen of this movie so far. It does seem strange that there would still be a video store that has only VHS, but who cares?

Jack Black seems to play the same type of character that plays in most movies. That could become repetitive, but it looks perfect for this movie. The scene where he sings the Ghostbuster's "Theme Song" is proof of that. I don't really know a lot about Mos Def, but he seems to be a pretty good fit. Also, the director is Michel Gondry, from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. What else could you possibly want? Well I remember hearing awhile ago that their list of remakes includes Back to the Future. I hope that's true.

I'm just hoping that this movie is all that it appears to be.
"I'm pretty sure it is."

No comments: